Author: Becky Striepe
Subject: 8 Health Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
You know that apple cider vinegar is a green cleaning dynamo, but what about the health uses for apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar – ACV for short – is some versatile stuff! You can use it to top salads or make pickles, then use it to clean the counters afterwards. Then, you can apply it to your skin and even drink the stuff for all sorts of health benefits. Really, is there anything that apple cider vinegar can’t do?
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Drink it? I know, drinking vinegar might sound…kind of gross. We’ll get more into the benefits and how to make it a little more palatable below. Just stay with me here, OK?
Proponents of ACV will tell you that the reason it’s great is that it’s loaded with vitamins and minerals. That is both true and not true. A cup of apple cider vinegar is rich in vitamins like potassium and manganese, but who is drinking a full cup of this stuff, right? Chances are you’re going to drink an ounce – about two tablespoons – tops at a go.
What ACV does have in spades is acetic acid, which helps your body better absorb vitamins and minerals in the food that you eat. That acetic acid also slows down digestive enzymes, regulating blood sugar levels, which can definitely contribute to overall better health.
Health Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial topically and when you ingest the stuff. The list below contains just a few of the health uses for apple cider vinegar. I’d love to hear how you’re using apple cider vinegar, too. Drop a comment with your ACV tips!
1. ACV Tea for a Sore Throat – Combine 1 tablespoon vinegar in 1 cup hot water. You can add a sweetener of your choice if you have a hard time drinking this as-is.
2. A shot a day keeps the doctor away? You can take advantage of ACV’s health benefits with a daily vinegar shot. Research suggests that it can help prevent high cholesterol, regulate blood pressure, and improve heart health. Just put 2 tablespoons of ACV in a shot glass, and slug it. Chase with a little juice, if you need to wash away the strong vinegar flavor quickly. Even better: chase with a glass of water. I know this may sound crazy, but some folks – like me! – like the taste of straight vinegar, and over time you’ll get more used to it too. There’s even research showing that taking a shot of ACV before bed can help regulate your blood sugar levels.
3. Wart removal – Check out this video showing how to
4. Dandruff Treatment – Got dandruff? ACV to the rescue! Check out this natural dandruff treatment made with apple cider vinegar.
5. Natural Heartburn Remedy – I know, swallowing something acidic sounds a little bit counter-intuitive when you’re trying to get rid of heartburn, but before you write off this idea, see what Reflux MD has to say about it.
6. Homemade Astringent to Beat Acne – Do you struggle with acne? The natural acids in apple cider vinegar can help. Here’s a great recipe for a anti-acne astringent made with ACV.
7. Soothe a Sunburn – Did you overdo on the last pool or beach day of the year? Apple cider vinegar can help your body bounce back from a sunburn.
8. Stop Leg Cramps in their Tracks – Scientists looked at how consuming vinegar affected muscle cramps, and their findings were dramatic! Though to be fair, pickle juice will do the same thing, but with all of its other health benefits, you may as well use ACV instead, right?